Maps applications have become must have apps in every smartphone. Every mobile platform has tons of services based in maps to get their users to the place they are looking for.
Directions, business around, where to eat, free WiFi hotspots or check-ins are some examples of applications based in maps. Nowadays, people who manage a business must pay attention to this channel and develop a specific strategy for it.
Why maps are important for my business? Because if you’re on a map, you can be located by potential customers and transform a search into a satisfied client.
Five strategies related to marketing in map applications
- Attract attention of people when they are browsing an online map, by using something “different”. A good example is those business placed something special in their rooftops, like a big logo or a funny text. Some examples here.
- Pay attention to source databases or data provided by users in maps applications. Double check if all the data of your business is right and correct quickly any mistake (directions, category, phone numbers, opening and closing hours…). Do this periodically because sources are updated from time to time and you do want people to find you.
- Pay attention to top lead maps applications, and double check all data related with your business. Are they all OK? If so, it’s time to go to the next point.
- Review comments left about your business, if social functionality is allowed. Even if they are negative or even impolite, you must not try to fight back. It’s better to try to make that bad comment on something positive by applying some some social media strategy, even asking for a professional service if you don’t have experience in social channels.
- Maybe check-in apps like Foursquare are only a temporally fashion for geeks. Or maybe not, and they are here to stay for a long time and evolve. Fashion or not, they have now millions of users (Foursquare recently celebrated 10.000.000 million users!) sharing their locations and comments, and also searching for places and offers around their positions. What can we do with our business? Check your business data showed by Foursquare, study how your competitors are working on this social service and then think about the convenience of publishing special offers to check-in apps users.
Some examples of websites working with data based on maps or directions where you can develop a marketing strategy:
- 11870.com: the most popular in Spain, with thousands of opinions, photos and videos uploaded by more than 67.000 users. Of course, Valencia has its own section (Link).
- Foursquare: Check-in in places that you visit and find offers around you. Of course, don’t forget to check-in if you come to Valencia (Link).
- Facebook Places: Share where you are with your friends, see where friends are and discover new places. This is what offers the number one social network to their users (Link).
- Around me: How many times have you found yourself in need of finding the closest gas station, a cash machine or a Italian restaurant? AroundMe allows you to quickly find out information about your surroundings (Link).
- Google Maps: The number one maps application for tons of users. In addition to the classic web version, Google Maps is present in every iPhone and Android smartphone. Homework: Try to imagine how much this app is used every day (Link).
- Bing Maps: it’s the alternative from Microsoft to other maps services. It’s not as powerful as Google Maps but it works fine and gives you a second opinion if needed (Link).
Image | Julie Gibbons